Saturday, December 16, 2006

My Humble Anniversary...

Strange things are a-happenin'....This month marks my 4th AA anniversary. I'm pretty humbled by the whole experience, actually, for a few reasons.

The first, I think, is that, besides my home group, no one has been announcing my anniversary. I have ended up announcing it myself, which I find very embarrassing and un-humble. So I have stopped doing that. I'd rather have the resentment and not worry about my 4th anniversary coming and going. Besides, it's the '4th', not the 5th, or some other hoop-dee-doo occasion. Yes, I know, I am venturing towards the pity pot a smidgen, but still...

The other humbling aspect is how much I have accomplished this year because of the help and support of AA and all the people in it. I have come a long way in the past 365 days and I could not have walked that many miles without a shoulder or two to lean on in the interim.

The third facet is that yesterday was my official sobriety date--December 15th--the day I finally became honest about my sobriety with my sponsor-at-the-time, Mike K. My physical date was sometime back in October, but that's old history. So as of today I move into my 5th year, one day at a time, with the help of my HP an the people in AA. Funny, I threw my I Ching last night and it told me that I must sacrifice something I cherished in order to dedicate it to a higher purpose and by submission I will find my place in life and recognize my fate. Success follows this action. I think what I really cherish is my solitude. perhaps I must give that up in some way.

Pretty scary stuff for me.

On less important subjects---

I have begun Season 6 of 'Buffy', so I think that my goal of finishing all 7 seasons before New Years Eve might pan out. Also, I have the final 8 episodes of '24--Season 5' in my hot little hands, so I'll wrap that up this weekend.

I am going to treat myself to a new winter coat today--not that the weather seems top warrant it...yet...


Johnnyboy

2 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

Every anniversary is a hoop-dee-doo. It's another day, another year sober. I'm so very happy for you. Congratulations John!

1:00 AM  
Blogger Rex said...

Everyday is a mile stone of recovery. All it really means is you have been sober for 1463 24hour periods in a row. For we all have only today. Congrats! Way to go!

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home