Monday, July 07, 2008

Why am I here...If not to ask questions like these?

I was upstairs reading Orham Pamuk's novel 'The Black Book', and began to be distracted by the above thought. Why am I here, in this place, today? Do I travel in order to miss the place I call home or do I leave home merely to find myself at sea with these dilemmas? Am I searching for something that I believe is in one of life's little dark corners and then come to find that, like Poe's 'The Purloined Letter', the answer has been right before me all the time?



Tomorrow I help Janet clean out a storage space so we can fill it with donated goods, then off to help those who need help. These and other simple tasks I can understand, for they serve an immediate and useful purpose, but all this traveling about...What am I looking for? Have I lost sight of some objective that I may have had many years ago or am I so deep within the answer that I cannot see the forest for the trees?



This will keep me awake for the night, I fear.

5 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

I've just looked through those photos, and they're wonderful! Your training combined with your "good eye" has combined to create some real works of art. I'm impressed by your talent and skill, and grateful for the scenes which you've shared.

I thought I had posted a comment on this post in particular, but now I'm not sure...

I've read Pamuk's "My Name is Red" and "Snow." Of the two, I much prefer the former. I liked the mystery, and the way it unfolds through various viewpoints. I don't care for the more nihilistic tone of "Snow," and finished it because I felt as though I should rather than because I wanted to.

How do you feel about "The Black Book?"

12:16 AM  
Blogger John D.C. Masters said...

Thank you for the compliment, Aravis. Knowing your own work, I consider it a very knowledgeable one. I have enjoyed shifting my eye from places to people, reveling in the faces that make up my landscape.

I like 'The Black Book', but it is very dense. It is not one to sit down and skim through, for the narrator is solving the riddles of his own existence as well as those of his his missing spouse. I hope to finish it before I leave.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

You know, I love reading your blog and seeing your images, but I'm not quite clear on what you do in Bosnia, other than volunteering with some type of organization. Is this deliberate?

2:35 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

You know, I love reading your blog and seeing your images, but I'm not quite clear on what you do in Bosnia, other than volunteering with some type of organization. Is this deliberate?

2:35 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Also, I'm curious about how you became interested in Bosnia.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home