Thursday, June 23, 2005

Letters from overseas...

I love receiving mail. There is a childish part of me that jumps at the chance to have Christmas every morning when I go to the post office. My email can have the same effect. This morning, after I had waded through a small puddle of spam I found a letter from my sister, who is travelling in Iran with her husband. He is Iranian and they have been married for about 5 years now. She has an Iranian passport so she can travel freely in that country. She keeps her US passport safely tucked away lest it is found by the Iranian authorities. If that happened she'd be deported and would never be allowed to come back to Iran, a country that she has grown to love. Her email was more about her next little series of travel plans through the 1st of July, but there was one interesting bit. Because she has an Iranian passport, she is allowed to vote in the current run-off election between Rafsaanjaani and the other, more conservative, guy. I find all of this very exciting. To think that by voting we can change the world, even in small ways, is a great leap from the idea that one king, dictator, tyrant, benevolent despot, CEO, mullah, or Top Dog can make all of the decisions shaping our lives. We must never give up on this belief that we are making a difference when we vote. Only fascists want us to think otherwise.
My therapist cancelled my appointment this morning, which has now freed up an hour for my own fun. I think I'll go over to The Salvation Army and Goodwill and see if they have any nice shirts or something. I really love to shop at those places. Even though I can afford more expensive things, I find great satisfaction in knowing that by buying used clothing I am not contributing to the sweatshops of the world. Plus, where else can you find Ralph Lauren for $3?

1 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

So your sister leads a double-life with the Iranian government? How exciting! You say she can vote there, but will she? This is really fascinating!

Your reasons for shopping at Goodwill made me chuckle. Now I know the truth about you: you're a thrifty activist! :0)

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home