Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Busy Tuesday, voting, haiku...

I've been driving a bunch of guys around to meetings recently. I find that this is the kind of tangible service that I find spiritually fulfilling and socially enjoyable. There's nothing more funny than a carload of sober drunks driving around the woods of my rural state en route to an AA meeting. The things that come out of our mouths can be pretty surprising, but there is great healing as well. The serious talk is off set by the craziness of the world around us and our unique views through the car windows of life. It definitely keeps me sober.

I'm the new Literature Guy for a group near where I live. I was given a $300 budget for my book order and came in under by about $30, so I'm happy. By next week the group will have 15 new big books plus some 12/12, Daily Reflections, and As Bill Sees It. For those of you not in the loop, those are popular and well regarded AA books, essential to my, and countless others', sobriety.

I traveled to The Big City today with mom to visit her lawyer and take care of some family business. When we were done we had about 1 1/2 hours to spare before the train back home, so we had a nice walk through the park. At first she seemed hesitant to go, but once we were there it turned out great. We walked into the quiet of the pathways and trees out of the noise and traffic of a city in a constant state of movement and action. It makes me think of the inside of a bees nest. There is always something happening in The Big City. In the park there was reflection and people moving at many different speeds: running, walking, strolling, sitting, sleeping. Mom thanked me on the cabride back to The Big City Train Station. I felt connected at that moment. This was something that we had never done together. We didn't rush the time. I would have never done that when drinking. Never. So much has changed.

On the way home we stopped at the polls and voted in the local elections. One must partake in one's civic duty, if one wants to be able to bitch about how much the system is going down the tubes...

Being Tuesday, here are the haiku, on time, for a change...

#137.
Rising and falling
advancing and receding
natural movements.

#157.
I prefer mornings
with its fresh news: life and death
going on outside.

#170.
I can see the barn,
across the winter meadow,
from the road's shoulder.



Johnnyboy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home