Monday, January 09, 2006

I'm getting better...

For those of you following the saga of my head cold, it is on the down-swing. I woke up this morning feeling slightly better than yesterday, so I decided to call the whole thing off and stay at home. I was supposed to go to a seamstress and have some chinos hemmed and cuffed, but I cancelled after making my decision. Instead I read "The Color Purple", some philosophy, drank tea, juice, water, took some pics of my newest aircraft build, and tried to squeeze in a nap among the raging goings on of a nothing day. But that's alright. I'm also going to skip the meeting tonight. I think if I can have one more night without a radical change of body temperature, I may kick this cold into next year.

I had a brainstorm the other night about smoking cigarettes. Now, I smoke, but very infrequently and not at home. I manage a pack of smokes every 2 1/2 days or so. Still, in my state a bill has just been passed that would increase the price $2 across the board! I know that they are bad for me, and I know what they do. The fact is that I am stubborn and willful when it comes to these things. Oh yeah, my brainstorm...

I want to smoke a cigarette. That is obvious.

But I don't need to smoke a cigarette. I think it may work. Every time I experience a craving, I say to myself, "I want one, but I don't need one." After all, what have the little bastards ever done for me? Sure, they look good on film, in black and white, in a tuxedo, but how often do I ever get that chance? Never. So I'm going to try to dump these things. At the very least I'll save about $24 a week (my cigs currently go for $5.75 a pack) after the price increase.

All this talk of smoking makes me want to have a smoke, but that would mean going outside, temperature change, etc...


I want my family members to stop reading my blog. Stop it, right now. Think of it as a dresser in someone's room: sure you know where it is, but that doesn't mean you have to rifle through it looking for clues as to lifestyle and opinion. Set some boundaries, folks.

Johnnyboy

4 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

I found it helped to apply the program to quitting smoking. Also keeping my hands, mouth, and mind occupied when the cravings hit. You'll find your way. A day at a time, a minute at a time if necessary. Good luck!

3:09 AM  
Blogger HistoryGeek said...

I quit when I was really sick with a cold...it helped me get through the lightheadedness I always experienced.

I agree with keeping your hands busy. I bought a little stuffed lizard toy to play with when I'd get bored.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I quit when I picked up my 90-day chip. I smoked about as much as you. I don't think I was ever addicted to the nicotine. Rather, I think I was addicted to the social crutch. It was a visible sign of something I and others had in common. ...all in good time...

5:31 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Oh, and I password protected my original sobriety blog to keep local friends out. I got a little too detailed about other people in some of my posts...

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home