Monday, May 08, 2006

Mykonos, the Provincetown of Greece...

This is a true statement, and the only way I can describe this place. Aaside from all the buildings, which look like sugar cubes perched on the hillsides, this is a tourist center and not very indicative of Greece or the Cyclades (See-kla-dees) islands. Gold shops, leather goods, mediocre art galleries, mediocre restaurants, but oh, so pretty and whitewashed. Huge gay and lesbian scene, and of course famous for its mediocre beaches full of nekkid tourists from all over the world. Disco lives in Mykonos, as does all the risks associated with that lifestyle.


But that's not why I am here. Mykonos is the only place that I can catch a boat for a day trip to Delos, the island where myth and legend say Appolo and his twin sister Artemis were born. There is an enormous archeological site to visit and many pictures to take. I'll do that tomorrow morning and be home in time for a nap before dinner. So for the meantime, I have the afternoon and evening to myself in a tourist town that has yet to see the tourists arrive. That won't happen until July and August, but there are people here. Thankfully not many.

Before I left Athens, I qualified for the Athens Parthenon Group on Saturday night. It was extremely refreshing to tell my story to a group of relative strangers and see there reactions. I actually felt more comfortable telling them some things that only my sponsor and a few others know. Readers of this blog know, so don't get hung up about it folks.

This group is a really strong connection for me, and I think, that when I am able to leave the US for good in a few years, I'll move to Greece. I am realizing more and more everyday, that aside from some family ties and some friendships in AA, there is not much for me in the US. Over there I am an ex-felon with limited possibilities. Over here, none of that exists and my EU citizenship allows me to live anywhere I wish. Open borders, open minds, open hearts.

Open World.

Next posting...Thira (Santorini)


Johnnyboy

1 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

This sounds like it's an amazing trip for you in many ways. I'm looking forward to those photos from the dig site. I'm also enjoying this glimpse into AA in Greece. Wonderful! I hope that in a few years, when you're ready, this dream of yours to move there comes true.

In the meantime, have fun while gaining these deeper insights! :0)

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home