Friday, May 12, 2006

Santorini, Traveler's Syndrome, et al...

Santoini is a lovely island. The volcanic eruption in 900BC that destroyed the Minoan city and culture here inspired Homer to describe Atlantis. The ash blew as far south as Egypt, and many scholars now believe that the ash, falling fiery chunks, and the resulting tsunami (parting of the waters) were the causes of the Biblical exodus from Pharoah's captivity. New translations of the Old Testament have also revealed that "Red Sea" is a poor translation of "Reed Sea" which lies just a few kilometers from where the Isrealites left. The Red Sea is much too far away to have allowed the escaping slaves to outrun the chariots of their pursuers. So, what were conceived of as miracles were actually Mother Nature.

What remains is called The Caldera, and forms the bay around which, perched on the edge of the crater, lie the towns of Fira, Ia, and Ormious Antonious. In the middle is the top of the cone, still active in some spots. There have been two earthquakes since that time: one in 1956 and the other, I think in 1978. Still, the island rermains a tourist center of grand proportions, and is just as busy as Mykonos, although more beautiful. You've seen pictures, namely the famous blue domed church with stark white structures overlooking the sea. That's Santorini, and it all looks like that, and it is no contrivence for the tourist trade. Unfortunately the food has something to be desired. It is as expensive as Mykonos, yet lacks the quality and style of the other island.

My rooms are very nice. They are clean, neat, relatively inexpensive (45Euro), but the Almighty Dollar still sucks, so that is about 65US. All in all, it's been an experience I wouldn't trade, but it's time to move along. This is the theory I call 'Traveler's Syndrome'.

Time to go. Hit the Road. Worn out my welcome. Not- moving- fast- enough. It's that time when one has visited all the museums, seen the churches, eaten the food at most levels, and watched the television in linguistic bewilderment. Luckily I am doing that tomorrow, but not until 5:40PM when I catch a hydrofoil across the southern Mediterranean to Crete. I won't arrive until 8PM, so I have booked my room already. I shouldn't suffer from TS while on Crete since my schedule is tight and the sights somewhat numerous. It will be a daily juggling of hotels, buses, and archeological sites until I depart next Wednesday for Pireaus, the port of Athens, and my departure point for the convention. So I think this will be a cure for TS, but first I'll check out one more site here on Santorini in the morning before I take to sea.

I have such luxury problems, I cannot begin to list them...


Johnnyboy

1 Comments:

Blogger Anyta said...

can you tell me what was your Santorini hotel's name? We were recommended this summer to stay at Caldera Villas Hotel - it's in Oia... I hope it will be our best holidays.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home