Thursday, January 08, 2009

Contradictory people...

When my sister was here over Thanksgiving it seemed that every time I made some comment about food or the weather, or anything really, she needed to make some contradictory statement. An example is:
Me: That news restaurant has a huge menu, most of which is pre-fabricated food from a freezer.
Sister: I love pre-fab food! (In reality she never has. She has maintained the aura of an Earth-friendly local food type of person for decades.)

Today I experienced something else. One of the care givers always has to make some kind of damn statement about how we live here at our home. It is driving me nuts. Today, however, it was different. I am expecting a package via Fed Ex. It is a new camera and lens. It is quite an investment and was in the 4-figure range of pricing. The sender (Beach Camera) requires a signature form someone in the house to complete delivery. I am planning to go to the grocery store. In the event that they deliver while I am away I told Elizabeth (her real name) about the possibility and could she sign for me. Her response?

Elizabeth: It's been my experience that FedEx just drops things wherever they want, and never requires a signature.
Me: But the sender requires it due to the high value of the package.
Elizabeth: That has never happened to me...

All I wanted was "Sure, that's fine." I didn't need her personal opinion and a run-down of her experiences with FedEx. Nor do I really want her opinion on anything except the health and well-being of my mother. It bothers me that she tries to impose her values in my home.

I am tired of these people contradicting me just for the sake of hearing their own voices. They do not contribute to the conversation of the forward movement of society.

On better things...I have finished the dreaded 'Digital Art and Design' class. It is over and I will never take another on-line course again as long as I have something to say about it. 'Unfulfilled', 'Bamboozled', 'Tedious', and 'Waste of time and money' are some phrases that come up when I think of it. After reading the comments of others I have discovered that I am not alone. I am back on track with the rest of last semester (thankfully!) and start the next one in two weeks. I will begin my Senior Thesis and take a class (Study Group!) called 'From Page to Stage" which is about reading and staging theater. Sounds fun!

BTW...If you haven't already, see the documentary 'Helvetica'...Very fun and cool.

Johnnyboy

4 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

I just read your evaluation - it seemed mild. Did you send a separate one to CY?

She told me that you guys are meeting for lunch and to talk about the summer. I've done lots of B+W printing, so I want to learn color.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I would have been annoyed, too.

It sounds like a bad online class. The subject matter would most likely have been better treated on campus. I've had both good and bad experiences with online. There are some courses which I think are really best done in a traditional classroom setting; I hated taking Sociology online. My Composition and Computer Software courses, on the other hand, worked well in the online setting.

This semester I'm taking Human Geography- Culture online and am hoping that it works out. The subject should be fascinating!

12:37 PM  
Blogger John D.C. Masters said...

Thanks both of you. Fred--Actually I wanted to rant and yell, but I decided to be calm and frank instead. I thought Carol did the best with what she was given, but beyond that, nada.

Aravis--I hope HG-C works on-line. It sounds too reality based for that, while the tech classes would work well.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Yes. But it's only offered online just now, and is incredibly pertinent to my major. Even if the class itself is a disappointment, I'll have the book to learn from and a jumping-off point for future research.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home