Sunday, March 23, 2008

Another natural state...


I had a lovely day today. An elderly friend came down for dinner tonight with my mother and I. It was a joy to share the time with such a man. At one time he was a well known author and screenwriter, but now, in his 89th year, he has become very frail and in ill health. His mental anxiety is compounded by his fear of aging and of being alone. I will try to help him as much as I can.

It is one thing to observe with detachment the aging and erosion of inanimate objects. It is quite different to feel and see this happening to someone who has shared joys, holidays, summer afternoons, and enlightening conversations over the course of many years.

I am truly blessed to be living this life. I never want to forget how this came about.

Johnnyboy

3 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

I'm sure that he enjoys spending time with you and your mother, and that you will be a great help to him through your companionship. Perhaps he and your mother could visit while you're gone?

10:27 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I missed the photo the first time around; I think it might not have loaded. I just had to leave you another note and tell you that I really like this. Doors and windows are a favorite of mine, and the aged appearance is especially nice.

Great capture!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Margaret T said...

i agree with Aravis, regarding the photo. A piece of art per se

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home