Friday, February 08, 2008

Gods will for me today...

I woke up too late for my own tastes this morning, thus losing a few hours that I could have worked on homework to further my own academic success. Then I received a phone call from another AA who I had asked to call if he wished. I think I might have a new sponsee in this fellow.

I am convinced, at least for the moment, that I should be doing Gods will and not my own. My will has to do with the aforementioned success and laudatory recognition. Gods will involves service, unity, and recovery and in being the hand of AA. I have plenty of time to work on the other stuff that makes my life pleasant and comfortable. But first I have to remember what my primary purpose is. I have been granted another chance at living, but not on my own terms.

Johnnyboy

1 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

It's nice to know, though, that usually you can do both. I don't mean the ego-fed drive for accolades, but the enjoyment of learning and the opportunity it provides for you to be of service in other ways, and to more people, in the future. The work you do will help others, not just in AA but in all walks of life, in ways that you will probably never know. I think God wants this for you, or you wouldn't have been given the desire to study and to learn.

Service, unity and recovery help keep you humble as you go about your life. It allows you to help others to help themselves become what their Higher Power wants for them; you are a tool in the kit their Higher Power provides. They, too, may be a tool in the kit your Higher Power is giving to you in order for you to remain sober and fulfill the potential your HP has given you.

And so it goes.

My point is that your academic success has a goal and a purpose beyond the ego, and God probably has uses for that education in mind even as He wants you to stay right-sized and to be of service to the next alcoholic. I don't mean to say the the former (academic success) is more important than the latter (service in AA), merely that there is perhaps more room for balance in the comparison, because we don't know what God's will is for us. The two are probably inextricably linked in ways we can't know yet.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home