Sunday, July 17, 2005

A perfect day ahead...

I feel like I should really do absolutely nothing of any consequence today. It's now just after 10am and I haven't been awake for even an hour. A good start, IMHO. It is raining, off and on, which gives the outside a pleasant sound of hissing and frying. The birds are busy talking about bird stuff and my mom is downstairs watching golf. My cat is probably snoozing somewhere, as is Henry, my sisters 15 year old Westy. He sleeps a lot anyway. I would too, if I were 105. I plan on going to Copake Falls tonight at around 6:30, but that's hours away. I think I'll work on a model for a bit and then do the one constructive activity I wish to accomplish: vacuum my office. The scattered carcasses of many bugs are lining the window sills, and for some reason, the baseboard heaters. Break out the Electrolux.

There is an article in today's New York Times about Croatia, and what a wonderful travel destination it has become. In a way this is sad, because for over 100 years, Croatia has been the Europeans secret little haven and vacation spot. When I was there, I was blissfully aware that there was a dearth of Americans. Now I fear that the scene has changed. It's not that I don't like Americans--people are people, there are obnoxious French as well--but Americans seem to be, more often than not, the kind of travelers that wave around large sums of money and speak in loud, American voices when they don't know the local lingo. As if yelling helps with the translation. Thankfully I think that Croatia is safe, though. Most Americans couldn't find it on a map if they tried.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but there was a radio article on the current state of the media the other day that made me depressed: most Americans are not interested in foreign news. We seem to live in a vacuum. The United States of Electrolux.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

That would change our name from USA to USE, a rather appropriate conversion all things considered. Darn right the French are obnoxious. Americans probably hold the title, but the French run a close second. Our revolution prompted theirs and occurred about the same time. I wonder how that has developed our national psyches, and if it's those results we're seeing now.

Or I could just be rambling because it's Sunday and there's nothing in the world I have to do.

I hope you enjoy your day as much as I'm enjoying mine!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home