Thursday, December 15, 2005

December 15, 2005...

Today is my third anniversary. I actually have over 4 years sober from alcohol, but I did some other things, so I only have 3. Honesty is the best policy, etc...If you get a chance to hear my story, you can pick up some of the details.

It's been an amazing year. My schoolwork has progressed from an idea of going back to school to a first semester ending yesterday with an A- GPA. I guess that is a 3.25. That's amazing for someone like me, who rarely achieved anything over a C+. A B- was an occasion to celebrate!

I have 2 sponsees who are both very different and both doing well, as long as I let them do mostly what they want. As long as they want to stay sober, they will, with or without my help. I have learned to give them just enough rope to hang themselves and be there when they need me.

My relationship with my mother has grown in leaps and bounds. At one point I came home for security, now I stay home to be of help and comfort to one who needs me. This is an amends I could never have planned out. To be available at this time in my life to someone in a trying time in their life is truly a gift.

The sun is out and the temperature has cracked 5 degrees above zero. I have to go to my shrink this morning and then a last small round of Christmas shopping for my father, his wife, and my niece. I already have some stuff for her, but she is thirteen and needs some cool music for Christmas. I'm thinking Beck, Sinead, and Ani. I'll ask at the store. It's a hip store, so they'll know.

I visit with my father next week in The Big City. He and his wife are in town for a few days so I'll hop a southbound commuter for a couple of days. I haven't seen him since before I was released from jail, so this will be an emotional time. I'd like to make my amends to him somehow. Maybe it's already happening and I just can't see.

So what's next for Johnnyboy in his fourth year of sobriety? More school, certainly, and more travel. I've been thinking about another sorely neglected aspect of my life: dating.

We'll see...They'll have to be 'Blog-compatible'...



Johnnyboy

1 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

Congratulations!!!

Your sobriety is an amazing gift, not only to yourself but to your loved ones as well. You're an amazing person, and I'm so happy that your life is making this turnaround. I'm sending a big hug your way.

Are you celebrating at the Wed. meeting?

PS- my code word is "hwkcote." Is that a more aggressive version of a dovecote?

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home