Friday, December 16, 2005

No more shopping, I think...

Call me crazy, call me nuts, but I think that my Christmas shopping is finished until next year, which brings up a strange question:

If 'gift-giving' is such a good thing, that makes us feel good from both perspectives, why do we have a special time of the year in which to consolidate our love?

A good friend of mine was raised in the Jehovah's Witnesses. He is no longer part of that circle but his take on Christmas (let alone T'giving, New Years, birthdays, etc...)is somewhat refreshing. You see, the JW do not celebrate holidays, or birthdays, or anything of that nature. The idea is that one should give gifts all year around and that the gift-giving is special, not the day or time of day. Now, this doesn't mean that everytime your doorbell rings and it's an earnest proselytizer you should receive a present, or that they are particularly generous with each other. They are just people, after all. But the idea of giving being more important than time of day is important. That's what the spirit of Christmas, or of living, really is.

So I suppose that Christmas is our yearly reminder to put down the axe we're grinding, swallow our arrogant pride, and reach out and help the next person, not asking for anything in return. The reward is the deed itself, as long as you keep it a secret and not brag. Try it. It's harder than you think.

To Hwkcote: Yes, I am celebrating on Wednesday, December 28th, at 7:30PM, in the Village by the Lake. I hope to see you there. You have been a large part of my sobriety, both before and after I came into the rooms. Thank you.

More news on school...

I didn't receive the grade I told you about (3.25).

I received a 3.65.

HA! I say, HA!


Johnnyboy

2 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

Congratulations!!!

And of course I'll be there. I wouldn't miss it! :0)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Congrats on the grade. I very much relate on the gift-giving.

I like your writing.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home