Friday, October 13, 2006

...a new monitor!


I griped already about the old flip-top monitor that is attached to my rather large laptop (17" viewable!). The corruption of the screen has continued and an expert at school told me that I should think in terms of "weeks not months" before it goes kaput. So I took the plunge suggested by Aravis and others and purchased a new external monitor from CDW. It is a Planar 1700 and it comes with a 3-year comprehensive warranty (parts and labor). That means when it shits the bed in 2010 and the warranty has expired I can probably pick up what ever new fangled replacement for half the cost of a new one...does that make sense? This piece ran about $250 with 2nd day shipping FedEx, and I am very happy. With a little fiddling about I adjusted the screen rez and shut off the old damaged screen. I really like this much better, especially the added 2 inches of height. I think it's better for my eyes.

I found a PC repair joint nearby who will babysit my Toshiba while I'm in Spain. They'll give it a good cleaning, re-lube the CPU, and take the top of the clam off of the clamshell. I feel like I'm leaving the cat at the vet for a grooming and shots...When I come home, I'll pick it up and slide the new monitor behind the keyboard, because to be honest, typing like this is apt to give me a sore neck. The picture above gives you a better idea of the situation.

Oh, I almost forgot...whose blog is that anyway?;)


Johnnboy

2 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

You're too funny!

I'm glad you were able to get it set up, despite your concerns. Did you have much trouble, or was it fairly easy? It sounds like it will be better for you, especially after its trip to the vet. *G*

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new monitor. I totally understand how handicap we can be when a piece of equipment decides to go a-wall.

Ah, we are so dependant on technology, a love hate realtionship. ;)

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home