Friday, May 11, 2007

Gratitude, death, and recovery...

I have been performing more service than I have ever experienced. Organizing an international AA convention is hard and rewarding work. I suggest you all try it.

Yesterday I found out that my cousin had died. He was an alcoholic who never found any kind of sobriety or peace in life. His death was bloody, painful, and tragic. Blissfully his final hours were spent in a soporific coma before his family removed life-support. The details are not important except to remember that massive organ failure awaits me as well if I choose the dark path again. I am angry, sad, and grateful all in one breath. When I heard the news I wanted to drink, but instead spoke to another alcoholic instead. I was better and back on the beam.

My reality here in Croatia is much different. I am surrounded by recovery, the sun is hot, the convention is super, and I still have 5 weeks of travel left until I return to the USA.

More later....

Johnnyboy

1 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

Oh John, I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. It's a tragedy. I'm glad that you found a sober friend to talk to. No need for the tragedy to be repeated through you. I don't think your cousin would want you to follow in his footsteps.

You're in my thoughts. Soak up the heat from that sun.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home