Monday, July 28, 2008

Counting down...

In five days I will be out of Bosnia, gone from Međugorje, and in Split, Croatia. Simple joy cannot express the feeling. Although i have met and worked with some remarkable people here, most have been illustrative of...whatever. I have spoken enough of them already.

The other day I was on a bus heading into the center of the country. The thought suddenly crossed my mind, ''what am I doing here in Bosnia?'' It was as if I had realized I had awoken from a weird dream. I mean, really...Bosnia? Of course, I am volunteering, etc...but it reaffirmed the fact that I have been here too long, seen too much to be instructive, and so forth. I have grown to loathe this country in many ways. What I love about it is very superficial.

If I never see another bullet-ridden shell of a blown-up building, another nationalistic graffiti strewn concrete wall, or another banner-toting reactionary, it will be too long.

Today I work with my good friend Janet again, and tomorrow afternoon as well. Then it is a final three days of laundry, packing, a bus ticket purchase, and 'do veđenja Bosna', maybe forever.

I am actually growing paranoid about some of the people here. There are too many holy-rollers, theocratic flag-wavers, and narrow-minded sycophants for my taste.


Johnnyboy

2 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

Definitely time to get out of there. How sweet is home looking right about now? :0)

11:21 PM  
Blogger John D.C. Masters said...

You bet. I'm off to buy my bus ticket right now! Home is looking better and better every day.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home