Thursday, July 21, 2005

Supreme Court and Stuffed Zucchini...

...Or maybe that should be Stuffed Court...It seems like Shrubya is loading up his side of the fence with folks who will do what he says. This new guy has all the earmarks of a real Yes Man. He's a business lawyer with a right-wing Christian bend to his thinking. That means prayer in schools, drilling in the Arctic, reversing R v. Wade, and tax breaks for the rich.

It can make me depressed, but then I go out in my lush and jungle-like garden and discover a zucchini big enough to stun a horse. This when all the rest of the zukes are but wee nubbins on the plant. It's a mutant, I tell you. So I think I'll stuff it for dinner with a mix of ground meat, herbs, and veggies, and roast it in the oven. I think I'll try to find some ground lamb, mix it with some garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper, and cooked veggies. I'll use peppers, leeks and some potato. It's important to cook these vegetables first, before you mix them in with the meat. That way all of their water and juices get boiled away, concentrating the flavors and insuring that your mix won't turn soggy. Dice all the veggies medium, and saute until they are cooked through. Don't forget the salt and pepper. The potatoes add a starchiness that helps to hold the mix together. That way you don't have to add bread crumbs or eggs. This meat mix will also work for any kind of stuffed meat pastry--just make sure that you cook the mix before you wrap it in the phyllo dough. The possibilities are endless. That's why I love food and cooking. Recipes are good for pastry and things like that, but the rest is all technique and knowing how to treat the food from the raw state up until service. Being able to look at a cut of meat, or any item of food, and knowing how best to prepare it in order to bring out its best is a great gift, and one that I've worked hard at perfecting.


4 more blasts in London this morning, but they seem to have added up to naught--only 1 person injured. I think it was a copycat.


Johnnyboy

1 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

That meal sounds delicious. Enjoy!

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home