Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Big Weekend is Here!

NOTE: If you are a family member and you are reading this, you are snooping and not minding your own business. You will learn nothing of importance by reading this, or any of my, posts.






Well, the folks start to arrive tomorrow with all of their baggage. I'm pretty nervous, but confident in my own sobriety, sanity, and serenity to not become too involved in the craziness of others. There will be talks, meals, the usual family stuff that we've never done, and then the dividing of my mother's estate pre-morte. This is being carried out for tax reasons but also for sensible reasons. When that time comes, emotions will be so high as to prohibit rational discussion of who-gets-what.


To be honest, I don't want to reaquaint myself with a sibling I haven't seen in over 8 years. I have spoken with her maybe 20 times in that span. But, the unhealthy thing would be to continue that "relationship" based on distance. The healthy, scary, and maybe painful alternative is to change.

Change scares me. Change goes against the flow, the status quo, the way-it-has-always-been...

Progress through pain, right? Look at me, I'm shaking!

As an alcoholic, I tend to blow shit out-of-proportion. This is probably what I'm doing now. The weekend will be fine. No worries. Smiles, hugs, and cotton-fucking-candy...




Johnnyboy

4 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

I understand why you would be tense. You'll be dealing with the usual family issues, but above and beyond that there's few things more charged than an estate. You know what to do if you feel like you're getting yourself in trouble: call your sponsor and/or AA friends and get to a meeting if you can manage it. Best of luck, John!

1:40 AM  
Blogger Rex said...

Remember to Breath and Pray and Breath some more. Take it minute by minute if you have too. Keep on keeping on.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Sounds like a good time to practice saying the Serenity Prayer.

9:25 AM  
Blogger John D.C. Masters said...

Thanks folks. Yes, Scott, the Seremity Prayer is a big one for me everyday, and this weekend particularly. Today I ammore aware than ever that the only person, place, or thing that I can change is me and my outlook/reactions to the world around me. cross your fingers for me!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home