Sunday, September 25, 2005

Sunday, a day to goof off...

Yesterday I participated in a 5km Walk For Literacy in a nearby town. It was really a great experience for me, if only to get out of the house and have some exercise, meet some people not in AA (earthlings) and do something good for the community. The event is a memorial tribute to a little girl who was killed in a freak car accident a couple of years ago. She loved to read, so all the money is donated to the local public library. I was #140 and my friend was #139.I think that the library buys books at $10 a piece, so at $10 per entry fee, that's a good start for the library.

One of the immediate results of my exercising has been sleep. Before last week I would toss and turn all night, rarely having any kind of full nights sleep. For the last 3 nights I have slept very well, deep, even, and restful. I wake up at a decent hour, around 8 or so, and actually feel rested. My new regimen has brought a real change to my life.


In today's New York Times there is an article on the '90's band The Spin Doctors. They certainly had a couple of big, extremely overplayed hits back then, but they are putting out a new album, after mending all of their differences. Frankly I never felt much zing from their catchy, upbeat, happy, songwriting. I prefer angst with my rock 'n' roll, with a side order of controversy, on a couple of slices of danger. All the best tunes, in my opinion, are not about 'love found', but about 'love lost'. Death, cars, forbidden and unrequited love, are all suitable for the jukebox of reality. Skipping down the street singing about how much you love someone seems rather optimistic. Unless, of course, the next verse has you coming to the curb and getting hit by the crosstown bus. Your 'girlfriend' finally notices you as you lay dying in the hospital. The tears are flowing and true love never dies. The background of the Marvellettes and orchestration by Phil Spector fill in the blanks. Now, that's a love song! Put it this way...What would the world think of "Romeo and Juliet" if the Capulets and Montagues patched things up, and R and J had lived to see tomorrow?


Johnnyboy

1 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

If that's how R&J ended, we'd probably have Desperate Housewives, a show I never watch.

I like both types of songs- love lost and love found. My reality has taught me that not all love ends badly. That being said, Girlfriend in a Coma by The Smiths remains one of my favorite songs. This entry cracked me up. Thanks!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home