Friday, February 17, 2006

Gratitude and serenity...

Scott W. reminded me that I need to say the serenity prayer today and apply it to the uncertain weekend ahead. I have, and am doing, that. His blog also reminded me that I need to write a gratitude list, which I have not done in quite some time.

Here goes...


I am grateful today because:

I am sober;
I am physically healthy;
I have a roof over my head;
I have food to eat;
My home is warm;
I have been able to start cleaning up the wreckage of my past;
I am able to go to school and learn new things;
My family loves me;
I have 2 wonderful, crazy, sisters;
This weekend may bridge new rivers in my family's dysfunction;
I can apologize;
I can stay out of my own way;
I can make plans and follow through with them;
I am able;
I am capable;
Someone called me adorable the other night (not a relative!);
I am able to admit when I am wrong;
Sometimes I act like an adult;
Sometimes I act like a child, but not childish;
I am willing to make changes in my life that require humility and investigation;
I show up for life and do what I need to do for myself;
I can show compassion for those in my family that may be afraid or nervous;
I am human, and make mistakes;
progress, not perfection;
I see when I become a pushy person and stop it, or make amends;
I have a sponsee;
I am changing today...

I could go on all day, and perhaps I should be grateful for that as well. There is one more item for which I am grateful, and that is that I was born. Today. 41 years ago.

I am grateful that today is my birthday.


Happy Birthday all you other February 17ers!



Johnnyboy

3 Comments:

Blogger Rex said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you are preping the tools necessary for you to breeze through this storm with a bit of calm and serenity inside of you despite the tornado outside of you....good luck. Remember that Serenity is not the calm after the storm, but rather the calm during the storm....

12:44 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

Happy birthday John! I'll be thinking of you. :0)

1:00 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Happy Belated Wishes!

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home